Our online science mall at sciencemall-usa.com is a geek gift store for the adult science enthusiast, science educator, and science researcher. Our mission is to provide science gifts, science educational products, meteorites, necklace, pendant, earrings, and fulgurite lightning sand jewelry. We also sell school geology rock and mineral specimens, rare mineral matrix specimens, pallasites, tektites, Libyan Desert Glass, fulgurite lightning sand, Lichtenberg figures, Titanic coal, school rock collections, manganese nodules, elements of the periodic table, fossils and legal historical artifacts. Rare earth rock specimens such as ancient life stromatolites (earth's earliest life), shatter cones, banded iron formation, Greenstone belt BIF banded iron formation, KT/boundary, K-Pg boundary, radioactive minerals, weird stuff to buy, science art posters, prints, curio desk displays, science jewelry pendant necklace earrings, hand crafted artisan jewelry for KennedyCoJewelry, are also our specialty.

Exogenic Fulgurite "Burning Bush" Museum Grade

Exogenic Fulgurite "Burning Bush" Museum Grade
Exogenic Fulgurite "Burning Bush" Museum Grade
Item# JPT-burningbush
Regular price: $499.95
Sale price: $465.00
Availability: Usually ships the next business day
Temporarily Out Of Stock - Check back soon for Availability

Product Description

Exogenic Fulgurite "Burning Bush" Museum Grade
Exogenic Fulgurite "Burning Bush" Museum Grade, Elko Hills, Nevada

When lightning strikes the earth's surface and melts the materials it contacts, the remains are collectively known as fulgurites. Their classification has generally been limited to forms that form below the surface of the ground as soil, rock, sand, or clay fulgurites. In 2004, there was the first documentation of "exogenic fulgurites," those formed from lightning striking vegetation and causing the heated, liquefied remains to be ejected into the atmosphere. During their descent, while cooling, these remains often took on a similar shape to the original material.

So why aren't these more common? Although "a lightning strike" is commonly used to describe all lightning, only about 25% of all lightning events worldwide are cloud to ground. The other 75% is cloud to cloud OR inter-cloud.

Perhaps most exogenic fulgurites, when found, can also be misinterpreted as anomalous material and randomly discarded. This might be why there is not much talk about them or more "finds," as most people are not aware of this form of them.

The odd contortions and shapes of these specimens make them an interesting addition to serious collections that contain geological oddities. This material makes an interesting and real scientific contribution to our understanding of lightning's action on above ground materials.

This is a fantastic, very detailed and unique specimen.

Size: 35mm L X 34mm W x 14mm D, Weight: 9.68 grams; Source: Elko Hills, Nevada

Ships with Certificate of Authenticity, tag, perky display case and information about exogenic fulgurites. Stands and cube not included.

The full story is written up in Rocks & Minerals, Sep/Oct 2004, Vol. 79, No. 5, pp334-340, and it is authentic! Most of this material is in private collections or museums. A copy of the article in Rocks & Minerals Magazine is included!

Thank you for shopping at Sciencemall-USA.com - A Covid-19 Free Facility!