Our online science mall at sciencemall-usa.com is a geek gift store for the adult science enthusiast, science educator, and science researcher. Our mission is to provide science gifts, science educational products, meteorites, necklace, pendant, earrings, and fulgurite lightning sand jewelry. We also sell school geology rock and mineral specimens, rare mineral matrix specimens, pallasites, tektites, Libyan Desert Glass, fulgurite lightning sand, Lichtenberg figures, Titanic coal, school rock collections, manganese nodules, elements of the periodic table, fossils and legal historical artifacts. Rare earth rock specimens such as ancient life stromatolites (earth's earliest life), shatter cones, banded iron formation, Greenstone belt BIF banded iron formation, KT/boundary, K-Pg boundary, radioactive minerals, weird stuff to buy, science art posters, prints, curio desk displays, science jewelry pendant necklace earrings, hand crafted artisan jewelry for KennedyCoJewelry, are also our specialty.

Authentic Exogenic Fulgurite Whispy Letter " J"

Authentic Exogenic Fulgurite Whispy Letter " J"
Item# JPT-exogenic12
Regular price: $165.00
Sale price: $159.99
Availability: Usually ships the next business day
Temporarily Out Of Stock - Check back soon for Availability

Product Description

Authentic Exogenic Fulgurite Whispy Letter " J"
Authentic Exogenic Fulgurite Whispy Letter "J"

The full story is written up in Rocks & Minerals, Sep/Oct 2004, Vol. 79, No. 5, pp334-340, and it is authentic! Most of this material is in private collections or museums.

When lightning strikes the earth's surface and melts the materials it contacts, the remains are collectively known as fulgurites. Their classification has generally been limited to forms that form below the surface of the ground as soil, rock, sand, or clay fulgurites. In 2004 there was the first documentation of "exogenic fulgurites," those formed from lightning striking vegetation and causing the heated, liquefied remains to be ejected into the atmosphere. During their descent, while cooling, these exogenic fulgurites mimic the shape of the original material.

So why aren't these more common? Although "a lightning strike" is commonly used to describe all lightning only about 25% of all lightning events worldwide are cloud to ground. The other 75% is cloud to cloud or inter-cloud.

Perhaps most exogenic fulgurites, when found, can also be misinterpreted as anomalous material and discarded. This might be why there is not much talk about them or more "finds," as people simply don't recognize what they are.

The odd contortions and shapes of the specimens make them an interesting addition to a serious collection of geological oddities and a real scientific contribution to understanding lightning's action on above ground materials.

This is a fantastic, very detailed and unique specimen.

Size: 22mm L X 17mm W x 4mm D, Weight: 0.34 grams; Source: Elko Hills, Nevada

Ships with Certificate of Authenticity, tag, perky display case and information about exogenic fulgurites. Stands and cube not included.

Click on image to enlarge. Free priority shipping in the USA. It does ship internationally to most countries.

Thank you for shopping at Sciencemall-USA.com - A Covid-19 Free Facility!