Meteorite Impact Craters on the Earth poster is a full-size color poster that provides a great introduction to the science of impact science.
Large and even small impacts have affected the course of life on the planet by altering the environment so dramatically that many forms of life were driven to extinction." (Dr. Raymond. R. Anderson / Iowa Geological Survey Bureau) This poster features a table with all new information about the size, location, and features of 177 verified craters discovered on Earth (copyright 2008).
* The world map, showing all 177 craters plotted geographically (and keyed to the data table). Is there one near your home? (The most "visited" crater in the world is under O'Hare Airport in Chicago, and thousands of "Chicagolanders" actually live within its diameter!)
* There are pictures and text about some of the amazing rock and mineral types that are created ONLY by hypervelocity impacts.
* A sectional graphic shows how craters are formed when the meteorite/ asteroid/ comet hits the ground, and the types of crater they produce.
* A section is devoted to Gene Shoemaker, considered to be the "father of impact science."
* The poster comes with an in-color 6-page information sheet with photos of meteorites and teachers' review questions and answers.
The 38.5 x 27 inch poster is printed in full color with a UV protective laminate.
Comes with in-color 11" X 17" folded information sheet, copyright 2011.