Sciencemall-usa is a science internet store, based in the USA, dedicated to the science enthusiast searching for science geek gifts and science novelty, authentic meteorites rocks from space, Libyan Desert Glass, fulgurite lightning sand, rare rocks, rarest rare minerals, trinitite atomite, science collectibles, shatter cones, KT-boundary, radioactive minerals, science art, science displays, science jewelry pendant necklace earrings and originally crafted "cosmos-wear" meteorite jewelry.
Authentic Green Trinitite with Minor Pearl
Authentic Green Trinitite Atomic Glass with Minor Pearl
Great bubbly looking specimen with small white pearl in mid-front.
Size: Approximately 35mm H X 25mm W X 14mm D, Weight: 5.9 grams
Classic Authentic Green Trinitite Atomic Glass from the Trinity site, Alamogordo, New Mexico.
Ships in see-through perky container, with information and certificate of authenticity.
Trinitite, also known as Atomite or Alamogordo Glass, is the name given to the glassy residue left on the desert floor after the plutonium-based Trinity nuclear bomb test on July 16, 1945, near Alamogordo, New Mexico. The glass is primarily composed of arkosic sand composed of quartz grains and feldspar (both microcline and smaller amount of plagioclase with small amount of calcite, hornblende and augite in a matrix of sandy clay) that was melted by the atomic blast. It is usually a light green color, although in some cases it is other colors. It is mildly radioactive, but is safe to handle for limited periods of time.
A number of different types of Trinitite have been identified. Green is the most common form. Black contains iron from the tower structure. Red contains copper from the 'gadget' itself or from the communications cables that led away from the site. Both black and red specimens are extremely rare. Rounded pearls are also found which come from melted silica that returned to solid form before hitting the ground.
In the late 1940s and early 1950s, samples were gathered and sold to mineral collectors as a novelty. Traces of the material can be found at the Trinity Site today, though most of it was bulldozed and buried by the United States Atomic Energy Commission in 1952. It is now illegal to take the remaining material from the site. However, material that was taken prior to this prohibition is still in the hands of collectors.
Collected in 1948.